To provide a major relief to public, Supreme Court (SC) of India has extended the deadline of 31 March to link all mobile numbers and bank accounts with Aadhar Card. Subsequently, Aadhaar Linking Last Date is now extended till the date of final judgement. SC is hearing pleas on the constitutional validity of biometric identification scheme of the central government.
However, people must link their Aadhaar Card with welfare schemes to avail the benefits of such schemes as per Article 7. SC bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Mishra on 13 March 2018 said in an interim order that the central govt. can’t force people for adhar-pan link, passport and mobile number etc.
This SC interim order is only for pan card, mobile numbers, tatkal passport and bank accounts.
Aadhaar Linking – Supreme Court Decision
Banks and Mobile Service providers are repeatedly calling and sending messages to their customers to link 12 digit Aadhaar number to avail uninterrupted services. Accordingly, SC decision on 13th March still says that people must link their Aadhaar Card with welfare schemes like Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY), MNREGA, Mid Day Meal Scheme etc.
Highlights of SC Decision –
- There is no necessity for Aadhaar Linking with mobile phones, passport and bank accounts till final verdict.
- Subsequently, SC has also not specified the new Aadhar Linking deadline to connect these services with 12 digit Aadhaar numbers.
- Moreover, SC has not extended the deadlines for Aadhar Card Link with LPG, MNREGA etc.
- Accordingly, central govt. can’t insist on linking of Aadhaar card with mobile phone, bank account, passport and adhar pan link.
- Henceforth, to avail the benefits of around 93 centrally sponsored schemes through Direct Benefit Transfer,
people must link Aadhaar number before 31 March 2018.
Central Govt. Stand on Aadhaar Linking
Previously on 7 March 2018, Central govt. told SC that govt. might extend deadline till the hearing process is ongoing. Central govt. has extended the deadline in the past and will extend it again. However, govt. will extend this by the end of month to facilitate petitioners to conclude the arguments. Accordingly, 5 judge bench of SC who is hearing these petitions has agreed to the contention.
Till March 2017, Indian govt. has issued around 1.14 billion Aadhaar cards which is 85% of the overall population.
The post SC Extends Aadhaar Linking Deadline to link Mobile Numbers & Bank Accounts appeared first on Sarkari Yojana.